Internap Reports First Quarter 2014 Financial Results
The information below is a summary. Click here to view the entire release which includes our unaudited GAAP financial statements and supplemental non-GAAP financial measures.
- Revenue of $82.0 million, up 18% versus the first quarter of 2013
- Data center services revenue of $58.3 million, up 31% versus the first quarter of 2013
- Segment margin1 of 56.4%, up 360 basis points year-over-year
- Adjusted EBITDA2 of $17.8 million increased 26% versus the first quarter of 2013
- Adjusted EBITDA margin2 of 21.7%, up 140 basis points year-over-year
ATLANTA, GA – (April 24, 2014) Internap Network Services Corporation (NASDAQ: INAP), a provider of high-performance Internet infrastructure services, today announced financial results for the first quarter of 2014.
“We begin 2014 with solid first quarter results highlighted by continued growth in our data center services segment and positive financial and strategic benefits derived from the iWeb acquisition. We also continued to deliver sequential and year-over-year organic increases in our core data center services business,” said Eric Cooney, President and Chief Executive Officer of Internap. “With more than 70% of company revenue derived from the Data center services segment, the first quarter of 2014 presents a materially transformed business. Inspired by 40% year-over-year organic bookings growth in the first quarter, we move forward with confidence in the strategy to deliver profitable growth from our core colocation hosting and cloud services globally.”
First Quarter 2014 Financial Summary
- Revenue totaled $82.0 million in the first quarter, an increase of 18% year-over-year and 11% sequentially. The increase in revenue was due to growth in our data center services segment, which includes $11.4 million of revenue attributable to iWeb Group Inc., which we acquired in November 2013. Revenue from data center services increased both year-over-year and sequentially. Revenue from IP services decreased both year-over-year and sequentially.
- Data center services revenue totaled $58.3 million in the first quarter, an increase of 31% year-over-year and 17% sequentially. Both increases were attributable to increased sales of colocation in company-controlled data centers, hosting and cloud services and the contribution from iWeb, partially offset by decreased sales in our partner data centers.
- IP services revenue totaled $23.7 million in the first quarter, a decrease of 6% year-over-year and 3% sequentially. Both decreases were driven by per unit price declines in IP and the loss of legacy contracts at higher effective prices, partially offset by an increase in overall traffic.
Net (Loss) Income
- GAAP net loss was $(10.7) million, or $(0.21) per share, compared with $(1.6) million, or $(0.03) per share, in the first quarter of 2013 and $(10.5) million, or $(0.21) per share, in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Normalized net loss was $(7.3) million, or $(0.14) per share, compared with normalized net income of $0.2 million, or $0.00 per share, in the first quarter of 2013, and normalized net loss of $(4.4) million, or $(0.09) per share, in the fourth quarter of 2013.
Segment Profit and Adjusted EBITDA
- Segment profit totaled $46.2 million in the first quarter, a 25% increase compared with the first quarter of 2013 and a 14% increase from the fourth quarter of 2013. Segment margin was 56.4%, an increase of 360 basis points year-over-year and 190 basis points sequentially.
- Data center services segment profit totaled $32.4 million in the first quarter, a 49% increase compared with the first quarter of 2013 and a 27% increase from the fourth quarter of 2013. Data center services segment margin was 55.6% in the first quarter, up 660 basis points year-over-year and 410 basis points sequentially. An increasing proportion of higher-margin services, specifically colocation sold in company-controlled data centers, hosting and cloud services and the contribution from iWeb drove data center services segment profit and margin higher.
- IP services segment profit totaled $13.8 million in the first quarter, an 8% decrease compared with the first quarter of 2013 and a 7% decrease from the fourth quarter of 2013. IP services segment margin was 58.3% in the first quarter, down 130 basis points year-over-year and 240 basis points sequentially. Lower IP transit revenue and the loss of legacy contracts led to a decrease in IP services segment profit and margin.
- Adjusted EBITDA totaled $17.8 million in the first quarter, a 26% increase compared with the first quarter of 2013 and a 14% increase from the fourth quarter of 2013. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 21.7% in the first quarter, up 140 basis points year-over-year and 60 basis points sequentially. Both the year-over-year and sequential increases in adjusted EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA margin were attributable to increased segment profit in our data center services segment, including iWeb.
Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
- Cash and cash equivalents totaled $25.2 million at March 31, 2014. Total debt was $351.6 million, net of discount, at the end of the quarter, including $61.4 million in capital lease obligations.
- Cash generated from operations for the three months ended March 31, 2014 was $13.2 million. Capital expenditures over the same period were $25.5 million.
Recent Operational Highlights
Historical trends of key financial and operational metrics can be found in a supplementary data schedule on Internap’s website at https://ir.inap.com/results.cfm.
- Internap announced today the revamp of our patented next-generation Managed Internet Route Optimizer™ (MIRO), which optimizes network traffic for applications and content running on our cloud, hosting and colocation services. We also enhanced our CDN to provide improved performance, scalability and ease of use for our infrastructure customers.
- Research firm Frost & Sullivan recognized Internap with its 2014 North American Cloud Services Competitive Strategy Innovation and Leadership Award for our unique ability to meet the emerging infrastructure needs of a new generation of large-scale, performance-intensive applications through a combination of our bare-metal cloud offering, commitment to delivering a positive customer experience and hybrid services offering.
- Internap was named as one of the Top 40 Innovative Technology Companies in Georgia by the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG) for our high-performance bare-metal cloud. TAG’S Top 40 Awards recognize Georgia-based technology companies for their innovation, financial impact and efforts at spreading awareness of Georgia’s technology initiatives throughout the U.S. and globally.
- In February, we expanded our operations in a company-controlled data center in Santa Clara, California. The facility represents an incremental 5,300 net sellable square feet capacity.
- We had approximately 13,000 customers at March 31, 2014.
1 Segment margin and segment profit are non-GAAP financial measures which we define in an attachment to this press release entitled “Non-GAAP (Adjusted) Financial Measures.” Reconciliations between GAAP and non-GAAP information related to segment profit and segment margin are contained in the table entitled “Segment Profit and Segment Margin” in the attachment.
2 Adjusted EBITDA, adjusted EBITDA margin and normalized net (loss) income are non-GAAP financial measures which we define in an attachment to this press release entitled “Non-GAAP (Adjusted) Financial Measures.” Reconciliations between GAAP information and non-GAAP information related to adjusted EBITDA and normalized net (loss) income are contained in the tables entitled “Reconciliation of (Loss) Income from Operations to Adjusted EBITDA,” and “Reconciliation of Net (Loss) Income and Basic and Diluted Net (Loss) Income Per Share to Normalized Net (Loss) Income and Basic and Diluted Normalized Net (Loss) Income Per Share” in the attachment.
Conference Call Information:
Internap’s first quarter 2014 conference call will be held today at 5:00 p.m. ET. Listeners may connect to a webcast of the call, which will include accompanying presentation slides, on the investor relations section of Internap’s web site at https://ir.inap.com/events.cfm. The call can be also accessed by dialing 866-515-9839. International callers should dial 631-813-4875. An online archive of the webcast presentation will be available for one month following the call. An audio-only replay will be accessible from Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 8 p.m. ET through Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 855-859-2056 using replay code 26846283. International callers can listen to the archived event at 404-537-3406 with the same code.
Internap is the high-performance Internet infrastructure provider that powers the applications shaping the way we live, work and play. Our hybrid infrastructure delivers performance without compromise – blending virtual and bare-metal cloud, hosting and colocation services across a global network of data centers, optimized from the application to the end user and backed by rock-solid customer support and a 100% uptime guarantee. Since 1996, the most innovative companies have relied on Internap to make their applications faster and more scalable. For more information, visit www.internap.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include statements related to our ability to drive continued growth. Because such statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks and uncertainties, there are important factors that could cause Internap’s actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These factors include our ability to execute on our business strategy; the robustness of the IT infrastructure services market; our ability to achieve or sustain profitability; our ability to expand margins and drive higher returns on investment; our ability to sell into new data center space; the actual performance of our IT infrastructure services; our ability to maintain current customers and obtain new ones, whether in a cost-effective manner or at all; our ability to correctly forecast capital needs, demand planning and space utilization; our ability to respond successfully to technological change and the resulting competition; the availability of services from Internet network service providers or network service providers providing network access loops and local loops on favorable terms, or at all; failure of third party suppliers to deliver their products and services on favorable terms, or at all; failures in our network operations centers, data centers, network access points or computer systems; our ability to provide or improve Internet infrastructure services to our customers; and our ability to protect our intellectual property, as well as other factors discussed in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Given these risks and uncertainties, investors should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements as a prediction of actual results. We undertake no obligation to update, amend or clarify any forward-looking statement for any reason.
The information above is a summary. Click here to view the entire release which includes our unaudited GAAP financial statements and supplemental non-GAAP financial measures.
Press ContactMariah Torpey
Davies Murphy Group
Investor ContactMichael Nelson